Saturday, June 27, 2009

Robert Neil's Snakes, 1840


Torn-ock, Tukyte, N. Name. Venemous. Length of specimen 4 foot 9 inches



Williamlungar N. Name not venemous





Norn, N. Name. Psuedohaje nigra. Male (?) Venemous - deadly
Specimen 3 3/4 feet long




Kirry-gura, Williamlungar, N. Name.
But doubtful if poisonous.





Bardick, N. Name.



coronatus, latin. Venemous but not dreaded by the Aborigines.




Diamond Backed Snake.



Aren't they beautiful? I've only labelled them with what I could decipher. N. Name means Nyungar Name. In my next post I'll tell the tale of Robert Neil, Bob and the Fish Pics.

Pictures courtesy of the British Museum of Natural History.

5 comments:

  1. I guess you know that 'norn' means snake. Nornalup, I think even Nanarup refers to them....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no I didn't Michelle. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe 'Norn' relates specifically to tigersnakes and Nornalup is the "place of tigersnakes". Norn would have been a Murrymin word and Nanarup, Menang so they could both referring to the same snake. Both spots are still full of them; swampy, estuarine, frog country.

    I googled the latin name on the Norn picture which was interesting on a couple of counts. He identified it as a black tree cobra, one of two african tree cobra's. I couldn't find a picture of one but it's cousin Pseudohaje Goldii looks very similar to a tiger snake, and is also reputedly cranky and highly venomous. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudohaje_goldii

    The other thing was ( at risk of evoking murphry's law/ have a look at Spencer's post on it) I cut and pasted the latin name from your post into google Sarah, along with the little eu/ue typo. It only came up with 3 results, one of which was your post. My point being that within a very short time the content of your post has been indexed and is completely searchable. I guess blogger is owned by google so it shouldn't be completely unexpected but it does go some way to explaining the anon comment on your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm interesting. Maybe the Marias of this world only crawl the comments, because there's been some pretty risque words published on posts and no bites before ... anyway, thanks for the spot of sunday research C.Q., that is very interesting.
    It's possible that Robert Neill didn't have a latin name yet for the tigersnake. Isn't that particular species endemic to the south west corner?

    ReplyDelete