Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Writing Workshops


I wanted to tell y'all that I'm running some workshops in Perth. At the moment I'm writer-in-residence with Western Australia's Fellowship of Australian Writers, thanks to FAWWA and the Copyright Agency Cultural Fund. It's an awesome opportunity for me to knuckle down and just write my Love Advice from Broke Inlet project, without getting tripped up and distracted by the machinations of everyday life.
Yep, you guessed it. No excuses. Terrifying. Ha ha.

On Saturday September 2nd I'll be running a workshop on writing historical fiction, based on skills learned from writing The Sound. I like to focus on landscape and character here. Then the next Saturday 9th I'll be doing narrative non fiction and memoir. I'm really interested in how narrative non fiction works, and I've been reading a lot of Americana: Hunter S Thompson, Martha Gellhorn, Tom Wolfe, Gay Talese etc. Helen Macdonald's H is for Hawk does it for me too. But the nonfiction work that first set off all the bells and whistles was In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.

As you can see by the flyer, the workshops are really well priced. You can jump online at www.fawwa.org to book, or else ring 93844771. It would be lovely to see you there.

Some more news ... The Meadow Man rang me yesterday to say that the sandbar at Broke went on Saturday night. I had my money on the 28th but she broke early. The inlet probably looks a bit different now. Wish I'd been there.
From this:


           to this



5 comments:

  1. The Hunter S Thompson book I enjoyed most was actually written by Ralph Steadman "The Joke is Over" about when Steadman went to the States in search of work and ended up at the Kentucky Derby and met Thompson. They travelled and worked together for probably the most important part of Thompson's life. I read it in my last job and for once I could understand him a little bit, something I never got from reading his own books. I used to read it when I should have been working, it was sort of hypnotic and I always wanted to know what were they going to do next and couldn't wait! Such frolics to put it mildly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Rachel. I don't know about Steadman's writing. Gotta love his artwork though. I will check it out.

      Delete
  2. I thought that when that happened there was no more ironing.

    ReplyDelete