Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Smoke





Already too hot in the morning after the strange fog lifted. It’s smoky too, from yesterday’s burn to the north. Paper wasps hover on the veranda, searching for nest potentials. A ground frog whooped like an owl and the sun hit the sand bar out in the inlet, gleaming white.
‘We’re holding fast,’ someone wrote on twitter, ‘It’s stay and defend now. Fire trucks everywhere.' Someone else tweeted that the pharmacy was bringing them asthma inhalers by boat, up the river. At least there is still a river left and not a fire break of hot, dead sand.

The dog with the orange eyebrows crawls under my bed to get away from the flies. It’s like every bug in the world has hatched out today. Tiny black beetles crawl over my bare skin. Insecticide and smoking mosquito coils seem to attract them. Birds call alarm.

I wonder how, when the first thing to go down here during an emergency are the phone lines and internet, people still seem to post and read twitter updates. Perhaps over east, their towers are powered by something more sophisticated than the grid.

My car is covered in fine ash from the northern burn. By lunch, it’s thirty-four degrees and we’re all twitchy with it. I’m on standby in case they need help with radio comms. Snakes cross the track, thin rivers of hot, black oil. An ecologist posts about the country where he’s tracked dingos, foxes, quolls. ‘The creek used to have little endemic crayfish in it …#bushfire’

‘Have you tried turning Australia off and then on again?’

A kookaburra catches a tiny snake, maybe a baby tiger and returns to its roost in the peppermint tree out of sight. I can hear it bashing the snake on the tree branch. Still, drowsy air.

The Moby Dick account: ‘A sage ejaculation.’ Someone posts about the smoke lying over Sydney for weeks now. ‘Fog horns for the ferries on Sydney Harbour.’ Others debate the correct kinds of face mask to wear. Now is not the time to talk about climate change, we are told by our leaders. Our man in Madrid is standing tight with Brazil to maintain our current emissions, stalling the world climate talks. The prime minister goes on holiday to Hawaii and there’s a flurry of tweets to Hawaiian journalists to find him. Seven hundred and forty houses destroyed … so far. Three people dead, but ‘They were probably Greens voters.’ Fire fighters crowd fund for supplies.

Last week the fires began in earnest in the west and some of our ground crew were sent to help out. They worked for days out east, came home and then headed straight for the blaze north of Perth. I ran over a snake at the beginning of August when it should have been underground. ‘We’re okay,’ the twitter hold-faster posted. ‘I just want to curl up and have a good cry now.’ Prayer emojis.

The Moby Dick account: ‘Thou canst consume, but I can then be ashes.’

10 comments:

  1. I can't believe your P.M. has gone on a Hawaiian holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The man is a shallow charlatan Tom. The only thing I am surprised about is that the electorate can't/won't see it.

      Delete
    2. I am getting accustomed to shallow charlatans. They are becoming accustomed to success it seems.

      Delete
    3. There's a lot of them around and like you said Tom, they tend to win elections.

      Delete
  2. I wish I could offer some wisdom, some words of consolation or rationalisation. I can't. I'm done. My recent flurry of hope that motivated me to join Extinction Rebellion and post on the 2040: Regeneration page on Facebook is now extinguished. I've gone back to my earlier position: humans are not going to turn this around. There is insufficient will from those in control. That's it. The patriarchy has fucked us over. My new resolve: be present to every remaining minute, every day. Stay safe Sarah. I worry about you in that fucking tower. *heart emoji*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your heart emoji!
      I'm starting tower on Sunday it seems. I love it up there.
      Fuck the patriarchy!

      Delete
  3. Immense respect for anyone associated with watching for, fighting or managing the elemental force of fire. Recently back from New Zealand. There was a smudge on the glacier. Told it was ash from the NSW/Qld fires. I felt like apologising, especially for our politicians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow. Heartbreaking.
      And hi Julie, welcome to the WineDark Sea x

      Delete
  4. Often shocked about what I read about Australian politicians. Equally shocked these days about ours too though, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are shocked and pissed off Jenny!

    ReplyDelete