Monday, November 30, 2020

Picture window

 I have a window that faces west.


From left to right: On the left is a pile of stones with holes in them that I've neglected to put back. I guess that after my puritanical posts about stones, someone could jump on me about these stones but ... ok. They are the ones I haven't put back.

Poked into them is the stone axe an ex lover made for me out of grass tree resin and kangaroo shit. A fire on the beach. We were catching mullet at the time. Look, um, apparently we were in love back then.

Five little jars of honey, given to me by fellow beekeeper Kyabla. In the yellow frame above, a picture drawn by my daughter. I will keep this drawing forever because it reminds me of how it is to be a child. 

The second nautilus shell from the right was when someone surfed the the biggest wave in the world in the lil ol town called Walpole a few years ago. It's called The Right.

 https://www.redbull.com/au-en/history-of-the-right-western-australia-red-bull

We went down to the beach when it was happening and all we got was this lousy nautilus shell T shirt. My mate Tim was on the beach that day. He handed over the drowned rakali he'd found and the nautilus shell and we were all like whoo! 

The wine glass, I got it from an op shop. It was silver and called to me in all the languages from the Celts. I'm giving it to my fellow Celtic tragics really soon.

The clear quartz crystal.

The clear quartz crystal.

My daughter's father owned this crystal and when he died,we had to go through all of his stuff. I remember how he used to carry on about this particular crystal. 

There is a spoon in the pic of when I found that spoon at Kundip, The place where I bought my first patch of land. There is a last photograph from a women's fish market in Turkey: Who would have thought that Sarah Toa would end up in a fish market in Turkey.





11 comments:

  1. So much stuff on that window sill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of you having a window with a view. Having recovered from that I enjoyed looking at the things. I think the women's fish market in Turkey is my favourite item. I could make up stories about it each time i looked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really interesting that one Rachel! Doesn't every window have a view? Mine looks straight out into the forest where I live.
      I enjoy looking at *things* too. Maybe that's why I cannot throw out these treasures.

      Delete
  3. I'm loving these 'domestic' posts. Interesting windowsill and no, it's not crowded. I might do a similar post with a shot of my homemade bookcase/shelving system that houses my collection of treasures. Yours is definitely more organic than mine.

    Yeh, that's a mean looking wave alright. When we occasionally see the guys who surf it around town or at OB they are spoken about reverantly in hushed tones: 'That's so-and-so. He surfs The Right'. I respect them for it but figure the 'risk-taking' gene is inherited - just like athletic prowess, artistic ability or a good musical ear - so I'm not putting them on a pedestal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Top of their game ... whatever game they are in. Pedestals tend to be a long height to fall from.

      Delete
  4. A kangaroo poo axe is the last thing those Turkish fishmongers would have expected to be paired with in perpetuity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a delightful juxtaposition, right there, Pipistrello.

      Delete
  5. In the past I have bought quartz crystals in bulk to restore grottoes. Here's a funny thing: If you want to buy the really clear crystals, you have to describe them as 'water-clear'. 'Crystal-clear' won't do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I mean is that 'crystal-clear' only applies to water.

      Delete
    2. Never knew ... actually what you've just said is doing my head in, Tom.

      Delete
  6. Maybe it's time i sent you some more Kundip honey 🐝

    ReplyDelete