Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Not sure what to think about this

 Okay, so there's this thing when it comes to ethical considerations of what is wrong and what is right. I've been plundering my own mind about this for weeks, so please indulge me.

Two nights ago (actually it was four am to be exact) my dog killed a feral cat and I watched her do it. I had a torch. I was in my underpants and wearing ugg boots, as I watched the dog swinging a cat around and then, because she didn't actually kill the cat, I had to do it myself. I later used the same pitchfork to put the dead cat onto the back of my ute, with the intention to drive the carcass to a place where my dog couldn't possibly dig it up again.

This morning I had a visit from some inlet friends, and on seeing the carcass on the back of my ute, they said,. 'I see you're collecting cats, You are like the cat woman of Broke Inlet.'

I said, 'I'm so not! It was my dog!'

Selkie is sleeping outside tonight, on guard against future cats or other interlopers. I'm really worried she'll go after another mammal. Her attitude against ferals is really interesting. She had a domesticated cat for company (Ebony) since I got her as a pup and they seemed close friends but she goes hard against (and does kill) feral cats.

'She's turning into a bush dog,' my Mum said. My dog has killed two feral cats now and drowned a kangaroo. 'I'm not sure what to think about this,' I say to my inlet friends. 'She's a good dog ... but. Bloody hell.'

8 comments:

  1. Cats will be cats and dogs will be dogs. Look on the bright side - at least (and this may sound harsh) you do not have to explain to a neighbour what happened to their beloved puss. In this country people only worry about dogs biting children or killing sheep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She’s lived with a cat and children for years, no problems.

      Delete
  2. Reminds me of that story about the fox and the rabbit? maybe mouse? getting a ride on the fox's head crossing a river. Animals are stilll instinctual and can't be judged for that - it's in their nature. But personally I draw the line at killing native animals. If Selkie were a wild dog and killed to eat - fair enough. She's not. I can understand you letting her run with the cat thing - but I'm assuming she doesn't know the difference between ferals and natives. She probably thinks she's doing a great job protecting you.

    Native animals are already so up against it and need all the help they can get. Can you keep Selkie in at night? And train her not to kill if you say so?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the kind of house where I can keep her inside at night.
      I draw the line at native animals as well. She is well fed and not needing to hunt anything. But with feral cats she seems to revert, and it's weird! She's lived with Bobcat for years and yet went for a feral while it was in the house. She just seemed to know.

      Delete
  3. PS Unfortunately another aspect of this is if Selkie kills an animal someone is really attached to, they will put a bullet in her or get the Ranger to take her away and do it. That would be bloody terrible. And my guess is you would beat yourself up for not protecting HER.

    I know of someone who split a bull terrier's head with a log splitter on Mutton Bird beach in front of a load of people because it was killing his beloved old Golden Retriever. The feral owners of the terrier were really angry, but backed off when the guy (who is actually a nice guy) waved the axe at them. The retriever survived but never really got over its injuries and died not long after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that escalated quickly. Dog kills a feral cat to a human wielding a log splitter on Muttonbird Beach.

      Delete
    2. She's a big dog Sarah, and she kills other animals. The tale about the bull terrier was relavent. I know she is a lovely dog and you love her, but I don't want dogs like that on my property chasing the resident kangaroos etc and a lot of people feel the same. So you can reject my comments all you like - just be careful is all I'm saying.

      Delete
    3. You’re right of course. I’m constantly aware of her size and also her capacity. She’s chased kangaroos before and I’ve always been able to call her back. Unfortunately I wasn’t there that day.

      Delete