Wednesday, October 6, 2021

October

So nice to see you, inlet.

I feel like I've been driving for months and suddenly it's the equinox again. It took my Mum to remind me last week, and now there's the quickening between day and night that always throws me this time of year. A woman walks down to the seashore at dusk, glass of wine, sunnies and beanie, just like in the month of May - low sun and cool dusk. The sun slips and the darkening is faster but the kids are still yelling from the chilly waters. Orchids are rising their sex from the earth. My dog goes for a wander and returns with the desiccated leg of a kangaroo, crouches on the concrete and growls at any blow flies that get too close. They are new to this season too.

In the winter, right before I left for the big smoke, my car blew its head and this is an expensive exercise for a diesel. Queen Ben (car) is limping through now, avoiding any other medical procedures until the previous bill is paid up. Billowing smoke on a cold morning? C'mon, lovely lady, you can do it, just get out of bed for me one more time. Ignore those cold weather glow plug pains, baby.

Yesterday I taught in the city and then today I drove a long way to do our pre season fire training for the other job I have. I tied up Selkie in the courtyard at work. She'd been in the car for hours but she's long been my Girl Selkie and waited patiently on her makeshift bed, beside her silver bowl of water, accepting pats and copious stroking from all those fire fighters who are away from home and miss their own.

Then home to the inlet. Fisherfolk, returning from setting their nets this evening, their outboards blurp blurped as they headed to shore. The crunch of hull on coarse sand.

So yes, it's nice to see you, inlet. It's good to be home.


 

7 comments:

  1. Good ol' Selkie. I needed that Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Less daylight and cooler weather impacts us all. Waking up to darkness and watching the sun set at 6 PM instead of 8 PM takes some adjustment. I hope your car holds on. It is nerve racking driving and wondering if a breakdown is looming. Selkie sounds like a great girl and a well loved companion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure where you are Susan? We're entering spring here and, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm still feeling whingey about the cold. There are anecdotes of snakes out and about but if I were them, I'd stay by the fire.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful. Fire season is scary but a wet summer is forecast - let's hope so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ... two years ago, working with the dpt, everyone was so twitchy about the coming season. This season feels a bit better in that regard.

      Delete