Friday, June 15, 2018

Still life with cat

There are layers to that title seeing as Bobcat is so old now that her body (and to be horribly specific her urinary tract) is failing. I can't bring myself to do it though. Anyway, a favourite pastime this season of the year is to collect fungi in the forest and, if the spores are brown, make spore prints on paper. I cut off the stalk and leave the mushrooms gills down on paper overnight. Next morning all of the spores have fallen from the mushroom and created a kind of mushroom ghost on white paper. This particular print is blurred because the shroom was a bit too big. They grew in dinner plate gatherings on the driveway and I was pretty excited because they looked like fieldies and I was gonna eat me some mushroom steaks. The problem was they tasted bloody awful, so bad I wasn't sure if I was going to have to make a town dash to the nursing post. Nothing happened, as this post will tell you. I made some prints instead of eating them. I came home one day to see that Bobcat had walked all over it.
So ... when the day comes I will have her art to remember her by.


7 comments:

  1. You couldn't have planned it better. If you spray it with fixative it will last. Careful what you eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right! I remember that from drawing with charcoal (not eating it).

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Totally! They did look like field mushrooms but ... dunno.

      Delete
  3. Lovely way to remember Bobcat. Was she Bob's cat? I feel for you - my ailing poodle keeps on keeping on - with a doozy of a heart murmur according to his vet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she is Bob's cat. He died ten years ago this year and I'm pretty sure she was eight then ... so yes, nearly time.

      Delete
  4. That's beautiful!
    Elsewhere from amsterdam

    ReplyDelete