Sunday, December 30, 2012

On Grace

Matilda Grace: the fairy child who made me a grannie two weeks ago. 

I've been resisting the urge to post baby photos. Perhaps my Toa identity has morphed somewhat and I'm unsure of how to inflict my new grandmotherly joy on unsuspecting readers who are used to ripping yarns of fisherwoman derring-do. This is different ... so much bigger than any adventure I've embarked upon before, except for the births of my own children. As I wrote on A WineDark Sea when Pearlie gave birth, this is love. True love ... ambushed by love (actually.)


Matilda, or Gracie ... ("Mum, you can't call her Gracie. I'm having none of that!"
"Pearlie, sorry but I'm pulling rank here. If I want to call her Gracie, I will.") ... is a big, strong booby monster baby. She reminds me of my son Stormboy, pictured below with her.

Stormboy and Matilda were born strong, with long, lanky bodies and real noses, not those little squashed noses most babies are born with. Both of them could hold up their heads and move to peer at the light coming through windows. They both completely cannibalised their mothers in the quest for milk. Yesterday Matilda, fifteen days old, rolled herself over on the play mat. She's a bit of an alpha female, that one.

Matilda, Pearlie and Luke have gone back to their house in the city, after staying with us down south for most of the pregnancy. I've spent the last week or so with them, on a constant drip of baby juice and now I'm home, so happy to be back to the green paddocks, karris and cows.
But I will miss all three of them, terribly.

11 comments:

  1. Blimey - she looks so alert for two weeks old! ELdest grandson was like that, looking around himself from the first minute and taking everything in. Grand daughter was completely different and took about a year to properly arrive. She's still not always fully here. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is just yummy yummy yummy. Yes, we've been having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe....so cute. Obviously with a strong will (Sag. Dragon - double 'masculine' sign) Pearlie will have her hands full with that one. Uncle Stormboy looks quite at home there. Yes, I can understand the 'grannie' thing. At such a young age for you as well. Must be a bit weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not really weird for myself because I've been living it but it is definitely a departure from my Toa persona! Being a young grannie is pretty cool ... though I'll definitely have to tone it down if I want to chat up a bloke at the pub.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some guys that might be a turn on! Hey, I was thinking - is this a first born daughter of the first born daughter of the first born daughter scenario stretching back further than your Mum? That's me......special place in the family structure. My brother's first child was a girl too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! At least to my Mum. I'll have to look into it further than there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is beautiful and so strong looking and alert for 2 weeks. Amazing. Another gorgeous girl in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a Sagg I find we do make the best people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww. Stop resisting and inflict away -- and congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Ms PoW and Melba. On NYE, I resisted for hours until I finally broke down and asked, "Does anyone want to see baby photos?"
    When they all nodded, I replied, "Gawd. I thought you'd never ask."

    ReplyDelete