Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Camera Trap

Lately I've been trying to work out how to set up camera traps. This is not a creepy thing ... I live in the forest and would like to see what other critters are getting around at night around my place. A while ago, I strapped a camera trap to a tree close to my house. Tonight I put the SD card from the camera into my computer. Here's what came up.


The cameras are set up with motion sensors to take a picture. This night on the 29th, I walked around the camera to see if it would set off a flash, but it didn't. I walked away, wondering if it worked or if I'd set it up incorrectly. Turns out, I misunderstood infra red capabilities! Derr, Sarah.

Here are some rabbits:



And then, there is me in my ugg boots, today, going in to check the camera trap.

So all we got on camera was a few rabbits and my Ugg boots. But it was a pretty cool experiment. 

Onwards!

6 comments:

  1. We did the same thing in our back garden in a residential neighbourhood of the greater Toronto area. Overnight results: foxes, skunks, ‘possums, racoons, rabbits, cats and bats and many unidentifiable flying insects. Amazing.
    Be very interesting to see what turns up on your camera :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's a lot of critters. Mine was a rabbit monoculture. I might put it down the beach next.

      Delete
  2. I always fancied this primarily to see what my cats get up to overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend who uses one as a security feature. It is set too high for wildlife. Shame. A few years ago, Ugg boots were the height of fashion here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, they'd be a good, cheap version for security but marketed mostly for hunters. There are emus, kangaroos and possums out my way, so I'm hoping for something more exciting than rabbits next time!

    Pamela Anderson did a lot of the heavy lifting for Aussie Uggs, I know. But they are a winter staple/necessity where I live.

    ReplyDelete