Monday, December 17, 2018

Tower and Teach

I’m supposed to be up here (points to mountain peak) but the because of the rain over the weekend, there is no fire tower today. It’s my first rostered day for the season.

Mt Frankland, by Elizabeth Edmonds


The teachermen are back in the hollow just down the hill from my place. They convoyed in yesterday. I sit in bed reading Patti Smith and in their camp they play Neil Diamond and Leonard Cohen and shouts go up as one of them wins a hand. The first year they arrived here, all nine of them, Cohen had just died, and as the strands of his Hallelujah’s drifted through the trees, I knew they would be good people. They drink rum and beer and wine and sing a lot. They light a campfire and lay out swags. They are kindly men; these teacher men and they seek seven day’s healing at the inlet after a year full of teenagers and politics. I wonder what the teacherwomen do. Maybe I'll get to go up the mountain tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. Those male bonding camping trips are a bit weird to my mind. In Britain, men just go fishing on their own to get away from the women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thought of a bunch of teachers together leaves me cold, whatever the sex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why so negative people? These are a lovely bunch and their sound track is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’ve probably got a bit to be grumpy about at the mo.

      Delete
  4. I agree Sarah. At least they aren't playing hippy smacked-out jungle beats or thrash metal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had one mob playing Bangara dance music and smoking hookahs.

      Delete