Saturday, April 3, 2021

Djeran skies

 Our season turned on the pin of the equinox. Woke up on the 22nd and the car was coated in dew. Any rain before this was fringing the cyclone systems up north and now soft rain and stilled winds tell us we are coming into the Noongar season of Djeran. The Southern Ocean country is pretty different to Indian Ocean country or inland though, and this season down south is translated by some as Pringren. This comes after the two summers and before we head into the two winters.

The other night I was sky gazing and thought ... 'Mare's tails and mackerel scales, tall ships with shortened sails' ... there would be a weather event in twenty four hours and so there was, although a vestigial thunderstorm of the second summer. The moon was amazing.






 


6 comments:

  1. You have a different star arrangement to us but the clouds and moon are more or less the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I do not understand why you get so few comments. It must be so boring to see me and a couple of other old faithfuls pop up after every post.

      Delete
    2. Yes, you would've got that beautiful moon too. Southern skies are dominated by the Southern Cross and the Magellan clouds. Always wondered what it would be like to sky gaze in the other hemisphere.

      Never boring to see you Tom! Thank goodness you are here (heh). I think, being in the wrong hemisphere to you, I'll post something, go to bed, go to work the next day before I see any replies, so that potential for conversation in the replies is lost by then. Plus I haven't been posting regularly.

      Delete
  2. The sky is very telling and always interesting to gaze overhead. When sailing the sky is also important as storm clouds can form, rush overhead, bring high winds and require some skill to keep the boat and crew safe. Second to the sky (for me) is dense fog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. When I sailed across the Southern Ocean, the skipper taught me heaps of sky knowledge. By the time we got to Tasmania, it was cloudy every night and I lost practice. But my old fishing boss would look at a ripple of cloud on the horizon and say, 'Wind'll be up in a mo.' Got me every bloody time.

      Delete
  3. I made a comment earlier but shit interent reception chewed it up. Yes, I read that Djeran is a time for 'red' and all our red flowers started blooming right on cue.

    Last night I saw these clouds and I knew we'd get rain because of this post. Very cool.

    I spent a fair bit of time on the sea, fishing and sailing and pulling cray pots. I can still spot a school of fish before most other people can, and tell when the sea breeze is about to come in. When I'm out surfing I often get out of the water just before it turns.

    ReplyDelete