Saturday, August 14, 2021

Swing Saws and the Queen

So this post is about swing saws. Have any of you heard about them? Swing saws are pretty much the most dangerous pieces of farming equipment I ever come across. Forget about tractor fatalities or deaths/dismemberments/injuries caused by post hole drillers, let alone those ATV bike rollovers. Swing saws are part of an archive of 1920s new chums (immigrants) turning up to buy and clear land in a country that delights in the mythology of the hard-working land clearer, and part of the mythology when bits of wood or the saw itself turns on the operator in a kind of karmic deliverance.

I'll get back to swing saws in a moment. For now, here is a photo of my dog. 

Queen. She was early-morning sunning when I took this pic.


The inlet is about to bust its bar. I've never seen the water sitting so patiently on the banks and I've been here for a few years now ... but it's full and ready to split, ready to spill out into the sea. I'll post this photo and then when the bar breaks, I'll post another photo from the same spot. Stay tuned.



Back to the swing saw. They are pretty much a petrol engine driving a circular saw blade attached to a rotary hoe set up where you can turn the blade from vertical to horizontal. During the farm sale and the assorted paraphernalia that went with it, the swing saw sold to a local farmer who promised me he would never, ever work the thing. He bought it as an article of interest and it was to be hung in his shed for perpetuity. He promised me that.

Others had expressed interest in the swing saw because old WW2 motorcycle engines had been repurposed into these land-clearing, sleeper-making, personal decapitation machines. I'm not kidding you. Have a look at this puppy and you'll know what I'm talking about.


12 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! More than anything, though, I love that picture of your dog. Her markings and color remind me of my sweet girl Ginger that we said goodbye to a year ago yesterday. There was never a better dog than she was.

    Swing saws sound pretty scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I remember Ginger from your blog, RIP lovely girl.

      Delete
  2. I like the reflections in the photos. I look forward to the next shots presumably without reflections. The swing saw sounds and looks lethal. Saw benches were bad enough and as much as I remember on the farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the inlet opens soon, so I can have back the beach!

      Delete
  3. Swing saws aside, I would not like to get on the wrong side of your dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a great big sook in real life, but random strangers rarely get out of their cars when they see her.

      Delete
  4. Wow that saw does look deadly. Wouldn't pass WHS regulations in 2021. How times have changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally. You can look up videos of people restoring them. The comments are hilarious.

      Delete
  5. She (the Queen) does not look amused.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your inlet is beautiful. Queen has a lovely presence. She is bold and stately. OMG that saw looks deadly. It clearly was not designed to comply with safety standards of any kind.

    ReplyDelete